Whether you are a new or an experienced gardener, it is very important to have the right tools that will help you to do various tasks easily. Choosing the best tools can be very challenging since there are so many gardening tools on the market. What you need to know is that you do not need all of them. However, there are key tools that you should never miss since you will require them for day-to-day tasks. Check them below.
- Hoe –If you have a large garden, a hoe will make your work easier when breaking down the soil or removing weeds from the plant. It also allows you to smoothen the ground instead of using a spade or a fork. All you need to do is to ensure that it is always sharp. If possible, look for one that has a double head or one that has a prolonged fork on one end and a blade on the other side.
- Secateurs/ pruning clippers – They are also known as pruning shears and are great for all types of garden chores. You can use them for tasks such as harvesting woody herbs, pruning berry bushes and also cutting tree branches. Remember to oil them after use to keep them in good condition.
- Fork– A fork is used to dig and loosen the soil. Apart from that, you can also use it to lift vegetation. The two types of forks are a lifting fork and a digging fork. You can use a lifting fork for lifting long grass or hedge clippings. It also enables you to rake heavy materials. On the other hand, a digging fork is used for digging.
- Pole saw – If you have trees in your garden, a pole saw is one of the tools you that must-have. The battery-operated cordless pole saw allows you to trim overhead tree branches and shrubs at heights without worrying about electricity issues in your backyard. With this tool, you do not need to use a stepladder. However, you need to be careful when cutting to ensure that those branches don’t fall on you. In case you have never used a pole saw before, you should read the instructions from the manual carefully to familiarize yourself on how it works.
- Rakes –A rake will allow you to whisk away leaves and debris from your compound. Rakes are available in different sizes and styles. A standard leaf rake is suitable for beginners but if you need a rake that will give you better performance, then you need to look for an adjustable one. This one is able to reach even the hardest and narrow parts.
- Spade – These ones simplifies your work when digging holes for plants. They also allow you to move small molds of dirt from one location to another. The good thing about them is that they are very durable especially those with a stainless steel head. Some have a long handle while others contain short handles. Those with ash hardwood hare better since they last long and are very good in shock absorption.
- Hand trowel –A hand trowel is a tool used for removing weeds or when transplanting bedding herbs and other plants. When choosing a hand trowel, you need to ensure that it is very comfortable in your hands. You should also look for one that has a broad blade which can move more soil. A narrow blade will also be suitable for digging up weeds.
- Hose/ watering can –There is no doubt that you will need to water your plants. You should have at least one watering can especially if you have a small garden. Also note that watering cans are available in different sizes. However, if you have a large garden, a hose will be better. A good hose should have a variety of nozzle options.
- Garden gloves– Exposing your hands to soil can be very dangerous to your skin since soil contains different harmful microorganisms. They also protect you from getting scratched by thorns or branches. Look for gloves that are lightweight and those that are made of reliable materials. For pruning, digging or other demanding tasks, you should look for heavy-duty gloves.
- Wheelbarrow – This one will allow you to move heavy items from one place to another. Single handle two-wheel wheelbarrows are easy to balance and are suitable when pulling items on uneven terrain. There is also another type known as a single handle wheelbarrow that is easy to pull or push with one hand.
Garden tools are so many which means that you need to know the best one for each task. Before buying, consider some of the tasks you will require to do in your garden. This will make your work easier when choosing the right tools. The good thing about them is that they are very easy to use and are also affordable. The ones we have discussed are also versatile and you will need them for day to day gardening activities.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I do share relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.