iriemade Skip to Content

Can Families Get More Eco-Friendly?

Photo by ready made

More than 33% of global consumers say they are willing to pay more for green products attesting to people’s enhanced awareness of sustainability and eco-friendliness issues. Families and individuals are part of this cohort changing attitudes and behavior for a better planet. From conserving energy to recycling products, it is possible for families to make a big impact in reducing their carbon footprint and enhancing their quality of life. Here are effective ways to help the environment and make the world a better place to live in.

Go Solar

Annual costs of energy were $3,728 per person in 2019 with the US spending over $1 trillion representing 5.7% of Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Although more than 21% of electricity generated in the US is from renewable sources, the remaining 79% comes from non-renewables. Unfortunately, fossil fuels release pollutants in the atmosphere when they are burned creating greenhouse gas emissions that harm the environment. Air pollution also affects individuals that may cause several health issues such as asthma, cancer, and even premature death. 

Hence, it makes sense to invest in clean energy sources. For example, opting for solar energy is a sensible option to produce clean electricity, save money, and reduce carbon emissions. According to experts at Ecowatch, there are several products that are available to households to produce green energy. Solar panels are common types of collecting renewable energy from the sun. Solar batteries may also be added to a home system as backup power or to sell excess energy back to the grid. Solar water heating is also another way of reducing reliance on grid electricity as space heaters that can save your family a bundle during the cold season. From water heaters and pumps to inverters and cookers, there are many solar products that your household can purchase for green living.

Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle as a Family

Waste management involves the three Rs – reduce, reuse, and recycle, to lessen the amount of trash we throw away. More importantly, doing so will help in conserving natural resources and energy. To be effective in managing household waste, it is important to do it together as a family. Even young children can be educated at an early age on the importance of managing waste. For instance, enlist the help of kids to sort recyclables in color-coded containers. Sign-up for clean-up days in your town or neighborhood and use this time as a family outing. Alternatively, take your kids for a tour of your local recycling center so that everyone can learn about its impact on the planet.

Another family activity is to make a compost pile in your garden. It’s also a good idea to let everyone plant their own flower, tree, or vegetable to encourage participation. As a group, you can also brainstorm ideas to reduce your use of disposables. Switch to reusable containers for school lunches and snacks, use cloth bags or backpacks, and limit long showers. The point is to make green living a family activity not only because it is the right thing to do, but also fun in many ways.

Indeed, families can make a meaningful impact in enhancing the condition of the environment. By switching to solar power and making waste management a family endeavor, it is possible to help the planet recover from the destructive actions of humans.

Pin It on Pinterest