So I decided to turn some of these yummy strawberries from U-Pick into some of the most delicious strawberry jam I have ever tasted… and it was SUPER simple. I’ve seriously been missing out.
All I needed were strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, and pectin (optional).
To begin, I sterilized my jar lids in a saucepan.
I sterilized my jars in a water bath.
I mashed up the strawberries with a potato masher.
I cooked them up with some sugar, lemon juice, pectin, and a hint of butter (to keep froth at bay).
I then poured the cooked jam into the warm, sterilized jars and sealed the jars in a water bath.
Voila! (after the jam has cooled off)
Below is a simple Strawberry Jam recipe. More can be found at Kraft SURE-JELL’s Jam & Jelly Recipes. Continue reading after the recipe for an awesome canning giveaway!
- 5 cups prepared fruit (about 2 quarts fully ripe strawberries)
- 1 box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin
- ½ tsp. butter (optional)
- 7 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
- BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
- STEM and crush strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Measure exactly 5 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot.
- STIR pectin into prepared fruit in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within ⅛ inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on a towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)
Win a Canning Kit Courtesy of Kraft Foods!
– Granite-Ware 9PC 21.5 Quart Canner Kit
– Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni 8-1/2-Ounce 4-Piece Canning Jar Set
– Canning Tips and Tricks from SURE-JELL and Kraft Foods
Giveaway ends on June 26th, 2012 at 12:01 EST. A winner in the U.S. will be randomly selected and announced in the Rafflecopter widget above. Check out my Giveaway Rules if you have any questions. Good luck!
Kraft Foods is providing the prizes for this program at no cost to me and has provided me with a gift of equal value for review. This program is not administered or sponsored by Kraft Foods or its affiliates, but solely by Sophistishe.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I do share relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.