iriemade Skip to Content

Feeling Under The Weather? Your House Might Be Making You Sick

Ah, the comforts of home. There’s nothing like taking off your shoes and inhaling the familiar fragrance of comfort when you get home after a long and stressful day. Your house is supposed to be a secure refuge for you and your family, and the last thing you’d expect it to do is make you sick. Illness caused by variables in the house is more frequent than you would believe, and it’s usually a simple cure. Is your home making you sick? Check out these warning signs to keep an eye out for in your house!


If you live in a home built between 1920 and 1978, you may have been exposed to asbestos, one of six naturally occurring fibrous minerals that were commonly utilized as construction and insulation materials at the time. Asbestos fibers can enter into your lungs and permanently damage them, posing a serious health risk. Although asbestos cannot be seen or smelled, it can cause lung illness such as mesothelioma, asbestosis, or lung cancer if exposed to loose fibers. Worth getting checked out if your home was built in that timeframe!

Windows and doors left open

That’s right! Something as simple as letting fresh air into your home could pose a threat to your health. Not the fresh air itself, but the bugs that follow as well. Mosquitos could be carrying potentially deadly diseases, and at the very least could cause some nasty bites on your skin. Using netting on your windows and doorways can prevent them from entering, but if you’re still having trouble you should call Mosquito Control as soon as possible to rectify the problem and most importantly, make sure they stay away.


Mould is a frequent concern in the house, especially if you live in a high-moisture environment with extreme temperature swings from day to day. A house with excessive humidity (more than 60%) can become a breeding ground for mould. When the humidity is high enough, it can destroy the drywall and create an environment where mould can grow behind the walls. Mould has also been linked to a variety of health issues, ranging from chronic sinusitis to nervous system damage. Dust mites are attracted to high humidity, which can cause allergic responses, gastrointestinal problems, and sleep disturbances.

Remember that you don’t want your home’s moisture levels to be too low (below 40%), since this might cause respiratory discomfort. Removing mould as soon as possible will be beneficial to you and your family’s health. Mould, fortunately, isn’t a difficult problem to solve, especially if caught early enough. Mould spray should be available at your local homeware store.


Finally, many older homes were coated with lead-based paint, affecting nearly 900,000 young children in just one year. If your house was constructed before 1948, it’s a good idea to get your paint and family members checked for lead levels to make sure they’re not harmful. Scented candles can cause lead poisoning even before they’re lit. Before you buy candles for your house, be sure you know what’s in them.

Pin It on Pinterest