After sifting through my recipe posts, I realized that I’m a little short on breakfast recipes. Well, today I thought I’d do something about it by sharing one of our favorite breakfast recipes – Cornmeal Porridge! Back in the college days, Greg and I used to enjoy Farina. It’s similar to Cream of Wheat and we would buy it because it was cheaper. Breakfast on a budget, holla. A few years ago, I discovered that we could make a similar breakfast porridge out of cornmeal and I’ve been making it ever since.
I usually make cornmeal porridge with dairy or nut milks and butter or coconut oil. It depends on what we have on hand. Today, I am sharing a totally vegan solution that hits the spot every time. I recently had the opportunity to try Silk’s new Cashewmilk and thought it would be perfect for this recipe. Their Almondmilk worked really well in this porridge so I was certain that the Cashewmilk wouldn’t disappoint… and it didn’t. We love having cornmeal porridge for breakfast. Juicy gobbles it up by the spoonfuls.
I hope you enjoy the recipe below. If you try it, let me know! Oh, and if you want to try Silk’s Cashewmilk, sign up for their eNewsletter at silk.com/signup for an instant coupon! Have you tried Cashewmilk, let Silk know your thoughts by sharing your feedback on their Facebook page!
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of Silk Original Cashewmilk
- ½ cup of condensed coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Sugar to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the cornmeal and 1 cup of water.
- In a medium-sized saucepan bring 1 cup of Cashewmilk and 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and stir in the cornmeal mixture. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the condensed coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Top with dried fruit, nuts, and chia seeds.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I do share relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.