After sifting through my recipe posts, I realized that I’m a little short on breakfast recipes. Well, today I thought I’d do something about it by sharing one of our favorite breakfast recipes – Cornmeal Porridge! Back in the college days, Greg and I used to enjoy Farina. It’s similar to Cream of Wheat and we would buy it because it was cheaper. Breakfast on a budget, holla. A few years ago, I discovered that we could make a similar breakfast porridge out of cornmeal and I’ve been making it ever since.
I usually make cornmeal porridge with dairy or nut milks and butter or coconut oil. It depends on what we have on hand. Today, I am sharing a totally vegan solution that hits the spot every time. I recently had the opportunity to try Silk’s new Cashewmilk and thought it would be perfect for this recipe. Their Almondmilk worked really well in this porridge so I was certain that the Cashewmilk wouldn’t disappoint… and it didn’t. We love having cornmeal porridge for breakfast. Juicy gobbles it up by the spoonfuls.
I hope you enjoy the recipe below. If you try it, let me know! Oh, and if you want to try Silk’s Cashewmilk, sign up for their eNewsletter at silk.com/signup for an instant coupon! Have you tried Cashewmilk, let Silk know your thoughts by sharing your feedback on their Facebook page!
- 1 cup of yellow cornmeal
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup of Silk Original Cashewmilk
- ½ cup of condensed coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- Sugar to taste
- In a small bowl, mix the cornmeal and 1 cup of water.
- In a medium-sized saucepan bring 1 cup of Cashewmilk and 3 cups of water to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and stir in the cornmeal mixture. Let it simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the condensed coconut milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve warm. Top with dried fruit, nuts, and chia seeds.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.