Here we are in September. The Summer season is just about behind us and the new school year has begun. I personally am ready to take it easy as I felt a rush to get so many tasks and activities accomplished over the Summer. With Labor Day before us, I wanted to cook a special meal that wasn’t doing too much. We’ve had our share of ribs and picnic foods, so I decided on good ol’ steak, potatoes, and a salad.
To prepare for our early Labor Day meal, I headed to Walmart to grab some USDA sirloin steaks, the main event, and fixins under $40.
I made a delicious white wine marinade for the steaks, but since I was pressed for time, I let the steaks cook in the oven in the marinade. I’m always cutting corners in the kitchen ;-). Then, I tossed them on the grill for that yummy grilled flavor. Talk about restaurant quality!!! Tender, juicy, and full of flavor!
I usually make homemade mashed potatoes or baked, then fried potatoes. I decided to combine the two and smash ’em a bit like Cat did in her Smashed Potatoes recipe. Steak and potatoes are certainly not complete without a salad; lettuce, cucumbers, croutons, crumbled bacon, drizzled in a favorite dressing. Italian Ice serves as a light and refreshing desert after a hearty meal.
What are your meal plans for Labor Day?
- 12 petite red potatoes
- 4oz cream cheese
- ground pepper
- crumbled bacon
- thin green onion or chives, chopped
- Boil potatoes in a medium-sized pot until tender.
- Saute potatoes in oil until brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a potatoe masher, gently mash each potato.
- Top each potato with a dollop of cream cheese, chives, bacon, and pepper.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Mix all ingredients in a dish large enough to fit steaks.
- Place steaks in marinade and refrigerate for 4 hours
- If pressed for time, steaks can be cooked directly in marinade (in a glass dish) or basted on the steaks while grilling.
I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. Walmart is compensating me for sharing my meal ideas. My participation is voluntary and all words and opinions are always my own.
To support my blogging efforts and site expenses, I do share relevant affiliate links in my posts. Thank you for your support.